March is here, Spring is near, and it’s one of our favorite days of the year! St. Patrick’s day may be the celebration of Ireland’s patron saint, but it’s celebrated around the world, including here in the Napa Valley. If you’re heading up to Napa to join in the fun, there will be plenty to do this year. From outdoor dining at some of the best Napa restaurants to enjoying a variety of craft beer flights, why not make Napa your destination for all things Irish?
The History of St. Paddy’s Day
March 17 is the day people everywhere observe the death of St. Patrick and celebrate Irish culture with parades, special foods, music, dancing, and drinking. Walk into any Napa restaurant or bar on St. Paddy’s Day and you’re sure to see a sea of green, as people Irish and not-so-Irish don attire said to keep the leprechauns at bay.
Three fun facts about St. Patrick’s day many people don’t know are:
- The real St. Patrick was born in Britain but was kidnapped by Irish raiders at the age of 16.
- Though he’s famous for banning snakes from Ireland, research shows snakes never occupied the Emerald Isle.
- The first St. Patrick’s Day parade was held in Florida in 1601.
Irish immigrants brought the secular traditions most people now associate with St. Paddy’s Day. And though some are observed in Ireland, it’s largely for the benefit of tourists!
Visit Downtown Joe’s for Outdoor Dining
Downtown Joe’s Brewery and Restaurant has been a Napa Valley staple since the 1990s, and our hops history dates back to 1985. We proudly serve some of the most high-quality local craft beers, including ales, stouts, and porters inspired by the quaffs the Irish love.
- Our pale ales range from “Raspberry Blonde” to the “Double Secret Probation” IPA featuring lots of citrus, pine, and apricot notes.
- Like your beer a little stronger? Order up our “Old Magnolia Oatmeal Stout,” which we like to call the “chocolate mild of beers.”
- Porters are a great choice when the air outside’s still a little nippy. Our “Rebob Porter” offers robust hoppiness for fans of dark beers.
And since we’re celebrating St. Patrick, you can also enjoy one of our most popular and maltiest seasonal beers, the “Ruddy Mutton Irish RedHigh Five Celebration Ale.”
Downtown Joe’s is a family-friendly Napa restaurant where you can order tasty pub grub, catch a game, and mingle with the locals. Our inviting bar and outdoor dining patio overlooking the Napa River make it the perfect destination for celebrating St. Patrick’s day in fine Irish style.
We accept online reservations 24 hours in advance and phone-in reservations up to four hours before seating time. No reservation? No problem! Walk-ins are always welcome, and the wait is never long. Wishing you a pot o’ gold and all the joy your heart can hold!